Thursday, April 21, 2011

Cock of the block

Definitely earned myself a rest day Thursday. Wednesday's ride was the 7th in 8 days. After the stellar ride Tuesday, I was expecting the second Clemmons bikeshop group ride to be a little tough. Legs were a little sore from Tuesday but I figured I could do just the 3 regular laps and head back if I wasn't feeling great. The ride ended up being a bit of a surprise.

The big boys were not out on this ride but there were 15-20 riders and I sat in for the first lap until the dip. Coasting down, passing everyone on the way backup (due to my exceptional descending skills, AKA "mass"), I ended up at the front. So I did a pull. Keeping the goal/intention of a recovery/beginner ride in mind I settled in and just did a long steady pace, letting my HR get up to 84-86%. As I pulled off I received, what I consider, my first "deserved" compliment. "Nice pull", said this guy I later came to know as Will. As I faded back, feeling a little glowy.  I thought I did a god job and having someone concur with my assessment made me feel good (hence the use of the word "deserved"). The group was together and everything was cool.


On the second lap, Will did some monster pulls and I got into the mix and we ended up with a group of 4 off the front by the end. But, either due to the lead guy dialling it back or the main peleton ramping it up, we got back together for the third lap and I spent a little time in the middle of the pack.

Surpisingly, not actually that fun. There was a lot more braking, shifting, and other bike related manoevering compared to being at the front. After recovering a little I got off the front again after the dip and we got another group of 5-6 off the front. This was really fun as I did a good pull, faded back and got sucked along like I imagined should happen in a good working group.

On last lap about half the rider headed home and the rest ramped up the speed. We stayed together to the dip and on the final drag we started with 5-6 doing the work off the front. Then 4. Then 3. Will, myself and one other. I did a long pull, then Will came through, again complimenting my pull but then putting me to shame with his effort. I called him a "beast in our midst" as he faded back. The third person did her bit and pulled but she was barely hanging on and pulled off after 20-30 seconds. Kudos for hanging. I have sooooo been there. Absolute respect for the effort.

It was now just me and Will.

I came up and got focused, keeping a steady 90 rpm cadence and letting the HR drift up to 92-93%. I wasn't interested in winning. I just wanted to put everything on the road and see what I could do. As I pulled off, Will again said I put him in a world of hurt and, given what he did last time, was expecting to really suffer. But he just kept the pace and while my HR did not decrease, I did experience some relief and he did not surge away. On my pull we were coming to the end of the lap and I wanted to finish it out. I put my head down, focused on "steady, steady, steady" and went to the end.

As I approached the finish I looked behind me and I had left Will 100m behind. Fucking A! What an awesome feeling. I maxed myself out and came in 1st! Freaking Cock 'o' the Block! It did not matter that the big boys weren't out. I won.

I won?! What a truely extraordinary feeling. I think I had an adrenalin rush for an hour afterwards.

Distance: 40.52 km
Speed:  30.49 kmh
Cadence:  87 rpm
AVG HR:  151 bpm
Weight:  199.4 lbs

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dude you TOTALLY ROCK. Great job!!!!!